We value the involvement of local people as volunteers in activities that enhance the quality of life for our patients, visitors, carers, and also support the staff in delivering high quality health care.
Volunteers are involved in many areas of our services, such as meeting and greeting, assisting our staff with administration, mealtime companions, dementia buddies and navigating our patients and visitors around the hospitals.
The range of opportunities continually changes so we are sure to find you something you will enjoy.
Volunteers are not used to replace paid staff and a volunteering role is not the same as work experience. Details of work experience can be found on www.ekhuft.nhs.uk/workexperience
How to apply
Please take a look at the roles we currently have on offer, then download, print off and complete the Volunteer Application Pack 2017
- Role: Cancer office support, Viking Day Unit- Queen Elizabeth The Queen Mother Hospital in Margate.
- Tasks: helping to organise patient information packs, order information online / by phone, photocopying
- Role: Medical Equipment Library helper - Ashford, Canterbury and Margate
- Tasks: Answer phones and book work for technicians and assistants within the library
- Role: Therapies helper - Kent & Canterbury Hospital in Canterbury
- Tasks: Help the therapies team with filing, sending letters and general administration
- Role: Estates Admin Assistant - All main sites
- Tasks: Assist in day to day office duties
- Role: Celia Blakey Unit WHH
- Tasks: filing, putting together new patient folders, collecting medication from pharmacy, offering drinks to patients, general admin duties
Role: LOF shop assistant- Queen Elizabeth The Queen Mother Hospital in Margate.
Tasks: To assist in the shop at mutually agreed times.
Role: Volunteer Chaplain- all three main sites
- Tasks: Spiritual care of patients, carers, visitors and staff.
- Role: Therapies- all three main sites
- Tasks: To give assistance to patients in Therapies department and inpatient ward areas
- Role: Inpatient surveys- all main sites
- Tasks: Assist with the completion of the inpatient surveys using the ward ipads which are easy to use.The inpatient survey includes 6-8 questions which require one answer. Training will be given.
- Role: Lunch Club helper - Ashford, Canterbury and Margate
- Tasks: Support patients during lunch time / lunch club. Helping to prepare meals and distribute to patients. Help feed patients. Engage with patients completing small activities e.g. reading, playing cards, puzzles. Provide cosmetic care e.g. hair dressing, painting nails
- Role: Ward helper in Maternity at Queen Elizabeth The Queen Mother Hospital in Margate
- Tasks: Greet patients and relatives and direct them to appropriate place and a variety of admin duties
- Role: Female ward helper - Queen Elizabeth The Queen Mother Hospital in Margate
- Tasks: Assist with filing, answering telephone, mailing letters.
- Role: Ward helpers - All hospital sites
- Tasks: chat with patients, greet visitors, keep patient information tidy and organised, help inpatient surveys, keep water jugs filled, monitor stock levels, tidy stock.
- Role: Ambulatory Care Unit - Kent & Canterbury Hospital in Canterbury
- Tasks: Providing refreshments for patients, serving packed lunches, sorting menu requests, tidying patient area
- Role: Eye Clinic Helper - Kent & Canterbury Hospital in Canterbury
- Tasks: Assisting patients and staff in clinic, making refreshments, supporting patients during their procedures if required
- Role: Patient support on frail/elderly wards.
- Tasks: Helping housekeeper with meal prep and distribution. Engaging with patients, completing small activities e.g. reading, playing cards, board games
- Role: Accident and Emergency support- all sites
- Tasks: Provide refreshments to patients and visitors, taking documents to other departments, general errands.
- Role: Wayfinding and navigation - Ashford, Canterbury and Margate
- Tasks: Help patients and visitors navigate our hospitals, helping them to find clinics, wards and departments.
- Role : Gardening Assistant- Queen Elizabeth The Queen Mother Hospital in Margate
- Tasks: General gardening duties, weeding, planting and tidying.
Please note: we currently have very limited opportunities for volunteers other than those roles listed above. Please check back here regularly to see other roles as they become available.
Thank you for your interest in becoming a volunteer.
If you have any questions, please email email@example.com
Any student wishing to gain experience in our hospitals as part of their academic courses, please see the Work Experience webpages. Students requiring short term work experience will not be considered as a volunteer.