Terms of Reference (ToR)
For the purpose of these Terms of reference Black Asian Minority Ethnic (BAME) means everyone who self-identifies their ethnicity as other than White British.
Aims & Objectives
The aim of the BAME Staff Network is to provide a forum to:
Support BAME Staff.
- Enable BAME staff to feel that they are part of and have a vital role to play in the Trust
- Discuss and influence issues affecting BAME staff with key decision makers.
- Assist in formulating new and reviewing existing policies and procedures ensuring BAME staff are not disadvantaged
- Assist the Trust in meeting its statutory obligations regarding its duty under the Equality Act 2010.
- Assist in supporting BAME staff with the identification of training needs, advise on the provision of courses, content of courses ensuring equality and diversity implications as they relate to BAME staff
- Help staff to access training and support.
- Aid with access to employment opportunities, career development and career progression/aspirations.
- Provide an arena for staff to raise their concerns, in a safe and confidential environment
- To provide an opportunity for staff to update each other, on local and national policy and developments.
Membership is open to all permanent and temporary Trust staff
The Executive Committee and Officers
An executive committee will be elected for a 12 month period at the AGM. The role of the executive committee is to undertake the work of the Network in-between meetings and represent the Network within and outside the Trust.
The executive committee will consist of the following officers:
- Vice Chair
- Communications/Membership Officer
- Officer without portfolio
Frequency of Meetings
Meetings will be held monthly in the first instance.
Terms of Reference include scope for smaller work groups to be identified for limited periods of time to drive work programmes forward.
In the longer term there may be a need to review the frequency of the meetings .
Annual General Meeting
One of the network meetings will be an Annual General Meeting.
AGM – Held annually:
- Agree list of officers and elect
- Review TOR
- Annual work programme
- Annual Report from Chair of committee (including accounts)
For the staff network meeting to be quadrate there will be an attendance of five members or a quarter of the membership (whatever is greater) for the meeting to take place. Chair or Vice Chair must be present.
The group will report to the HR Equality & Diversity Steering Group.
The Terms of Reference will be reviewed in October 2017