There is a wide range of training available for research staff, much of which is provided in-house or elsewhere in Kent.
A variety of face-to-face workshops are available, as well as self-directed e-learning courses.
Please note: Due to the Covid-19 pandemic, face-to-face course are not currently taking place. Facilitated virtual training sessions are being developed for some courses.
For further details or to book a place or see: https://learn.nihr.ac.uk/
Introduction to Good Clinical Practice (GCP)
A practical guide to ethical and scientific quality standards in clinical research
This full-day workshop is designed to provide an introduction to Good Clinical Practice (GCP), the EU Directives, UK Regulations and Research Governance Framework requirements covering clinical trials and other NIHR Portfolio studies conducted within Secondary Care (primarily hospital based) settings.
Good Clinical Practice (GCP) Refresher
A practical guide to ethical and scientific quality standards in clinical research for experienced research delivery staff
This three hour course is for experienced research delivery staff who:
- have previously completed either taught or on-line Good Clinical Practice (GCP) training
- have recent practical experience of working in a clinical research environment
- have a good understanding of the principles and quality standards of GCP and related frameworks.
Next Steps in Delivering Clinical Research
This two day course is for anyone in a research delivery post for between 6 months and 2 years.
To provide a foundation of knowledge to enable you to develop your practice as a Clinical Researcher.
Valid Informed Consent
The aims of this half day workshop are to:
- Understand the ethical and legislative frameworks that underpin, the research consent process
- Understand the principles and responsibilities of consent in clinical research
- Develop an understanding of the research consent process
- Demonstrate high quality practices to support the process
- Gain an insight into the added protection required for vulnerable groups
- Build confidence in participating in the research consent
- Introduction to Good Clinical Practice eLearning (Secondary Care)
- Good Clinical Practice Refresher
- Introduction to GCP for IMP Management (Pharmacy)
- Informed Consent with Adults Lacking Capacity
- Informed Consent in Paediatric Research
- All the above courses are free to staff involved in delivering NIHR research.
Further information about training within Kent, Surrey & Sussex can be found on the CRN Website:
Other training in EKHUFT
Principal Investigator Essentials Training:
The aim of this training is to provide Principal Investigators who are new to research with some additional support to undertake the role with greater confidence and understanding.
Principal Investigator Oversight Master Class Training
This half-day training has been designed specifically for existing PIs to offer practical solutions to enhance effective study oversight and management. Many PIs oversee their studies effectively, but do not always document this. Some may also wish to improve their oversight practices. Effective oversight, or evidence of it, is a common finding at monitoring visits and MHRA inspections. This master class aims to provide practical solutions to empower PIs to enhance effective oversight of their studies. This course is only suitable for those who are fully trained and experienced in Good Clinical Practice and who have already been a Principal Investigator.
For further information relating to training, please contact:
Ruth Hulbert, Lead Research Nurse firstname.lastname@example.org