We value the involvement of local people as volunteers in activities that enhance the quality of life for our patients, visitors, carers, and also support the staff in delivering high quality health care.
Volunteers are involved in many areas of our services, such as meeting and greeting, assisting our staff with administration, mealtime companions, dementia buddies and navigating our patients and visitors around the hospitals.
The range of opportunities continually changes so we are sure to find you something you will enjoy.
Volunteers are not used to replace paid staff and a volunteering role is not the same as work experience. Details of work experience can be found on www.ekhuft.nhs.uk/workexperience
How to apply
Please take a look at the roles we currently have on offer,, print off and complete the Volunteer Application Pack 2018
Please bring your completed application form and agreed ID to your interview.
Please contact firstname.lastname@example.org for interview details.
Role: Cardiology Admin- William Harvey Hospital
Tasks: Assist with filling, request forms, helping patient with queries and guiding patients to the Patient Transport Des
- Role: Celia Blakey Unit -WHH
- Tasks: filing, putting together new patient folders, collecting medication from pharmacy, offering drinks to patients, general admin duties
- Role: Day Surgery -QEQM
- Tasks: Collection and delivery of notes, photocopying and post
- Role: Health and Safety Department- QEQM
- Tasks: Assisting in producing training folders, photocopying and filing
Clinical and Non Clinical
Role: Neuro rehab support buddy- Kent and Canterbury Hospital
Task: Support patients in group sessions on the ward, support social activities i.e. cards/games and crafts
Role: Site promotions helper- QEQM
Tasks: To replenish and send out leaflets/magazines, rotate posters on site and keep posters/leaflets up to date.
Role: Speech and Language Therapy Helper - William Harvey Hospital -Ashford
Tasks: Help our speech and language therapists with patients who have eating and drinking difficulties after a Stroke/Parkinson/head injury
- Role : Gardening Assistant- All sites
- Tasks: General gardening duties, weeding, planting and tidying
- Role: Therapies- all three main sites
- Tasks: To give assistance to patients in Therapies department and inpatient wards area including mobility exercises and encouraging communication. Assist with monitoring & cleaning of equipment.
- Role: A&E- QEQM
- Tasks: Providing tea, coffee and company for a range of patient who may be anxious and alone. also running errand for the department and non clinical stock replenishment.
- Role: Medical Equipment Library helper - William Harvey and Kent and Canterbury
- Tasks: Answer phones and book work for technicians and assistants within the library
- Role: LOF shop assistant- Queen Elizabeth The Queen Mother Hospital- Margate.
- Tasks: To assist in the shop at mutually agreed times.
- Role: Volunteer Chaplain- all three main sites
- Tasks: Spiritual care of patients, carers, visitors and staff.
- Role: General Ward Helper- all wards
- Tasks: Patient Interaction including activities, assisting at mealtimes, filling water jugs, meet and greet visitors, housekeeping tasks, undertake patient surveys on iPad.
- Role: Lunch Club helper - Ashford, Canterbury and Margate
- Tasks: Support patients during lunch time / lunch club. Helping to prepare meals and distribute to patients. Help feed patients. Engage with patients completing small activities e.g. reading, playing cards, puzzles. Provide cosmetic care e.g. hair dressing, painting nails
- Role: Way-finding and navigation - Ashford, Canterbury and Margate
- Tasks: Help patients and visitors navigate our hospitals, helping them to find clinics, wards and departments.