On this page you can learn more about using the Attend Anywhere video appointment system, or join the waiting room ready for your appointment.
What do I need to do as a patient?
As a patient using the service, you will need an internet-enabled device that allows video calling. This may be a smartphone / tablet, or a laptop or desktop computer with a web camera and built-in speakers and microphone.
The call will be free if you use free Wi-Fi or home internet, and some mobile networks allow Attend Anywhere to be used without using mobile data, if your network uses mobile data for the call then please expect to similar amount of mobile data to a Skype or FaceTime call, and you won’t use any data while you wait for someone to join you. For more information visit https://england.nhs.attendanywhere.com/callers
If you do not have access to a suitable device, please call the Outpatients Booking Team on 01227 868686 and they will look to offer a telephone appointment instead.
Getting ready for your video appointment:
- Please make sure that the device you are using for your appointment (mobile phone, tablet or computer) is fully charged and working properly, and that you have either the Google Chrome (free) or Apple Safari web browser installed. You can check in advance that your device is enabled for video calling by going to https://england.nhs.attendanywhere.com/callersand clicking the ‘Test Call’ button
- Please make sure that you are in a quiet room with good lighting
- Please do not sit in a location with a window (or light source) behind you, as this will make it hard for your health professional to see you properly
- Please use a strong internet connection, such as Wi-Fi broadband internet or a 4G/5G connection. If you can watch a video online (e.g. on YouTube) without any problems, then your internet connection should be suitable.
What to expect:
Your appointment letter will include a weblink to the online waiting area you need to join for your video appointment. Ten minutes before the time of your appointment visit the link on your appointment letter using Google Chrome or Apple Safari.
If you cannot find the link for your waiting area please visit https://nhs.vc/eastkent/welcome where one of our receptionists will be able to direct you to the correct place.
When you visit the link
- Click on Start video call button:
- A test of your equipment will run; click through the steps to test your internet connection, speaker, microphone and video are all working correctly
- Review the "Please Read" text and click Start Call. Click to allow access to your microphone and camera if asked
- You will be placed into your own private video waiting room. Please wait for someone to join you in your video room. You may be greeted by a receptionist who will ensure your information is correct on the system and direct you to the correct waiting area to see your health professional for your appointment. Some areas do not use receptionists in which case your health professional will be the first person you see
- There may be a slight wait before your health professional can join the call. Please be patient as they might be held up on another call. At the end of your consultation your health professional may transfer you back to reception for a follow up appointment to be booked; if they do this please wait for the receptionist to join you to complete the booking.
To find out more about using Attend Anywhere for your video Outpatients appointments visit https://england.nhs.attendanywhere.com/callers
You will be automatically ‘opted-in’ to using video calling for your future appointments, this will be done after an individual review by your healthcare professional of your suitability for video appointments. If you have not been offered a video appointment but would like to have one, please speak to your healthcare professional to discuss your suitability for this.
If you have been offered a video appointment and do not want to have video calls with your healthcare professional, please call the Outpatients Booking Team on 01227 868686 and they can make alternative arrangements with you.
To cancel or change your appointment, please call the Outpatients Booking Team on: 01227 868686 or you can cancel or change your appointment here.
Please give at least 48 hours’ notice before cancelling, so that we can offer the appointment to another patient.
If you do not attend for your video appointment, or you change or cancel your appointment more than once, we may not be able to offer you another appointment date.
Benefits of video appointments
Using video calls with patients is something that has been done for many years around the world; it is seen as a safe and effective way to care for patients, who do not need to be physically assessed by their healthcare professional.
Video appointments have many benefits for patients, including removing the need to take the day off from work, travel to hospital, pay for parking and wait in a waiting area for your appointment. Instead, you are able to have your appointment from the comfort of your own home. A friend or family member in another location can join the appointment as your representative by also using the link in your appointment letter, just let your health professional know they are waiting to join you. Your healthcare professional can also share scans and results with you on-screen within the video call.
Attend Anywhere is very secure and has been tested before being used with patients. The security of the system is supported by ‘end-to-end encryption’ which stops any data being read or secretly modified.
You can read more about Attend Anywhere at this link which includes a step by step guide to using Attend Anywhere.