(Formally known as Supervisors of Midwives)
Professional Midwifery Advocates (PMAs) are experienced practising midwives who have undertaken additional training.
Professional midwifery advocates work for women in three ways:
Supporting midwives to advocate for women
Providing direct support for women
Undertaking quality improvement in collaboration with women.
How Professional Midwifery Advocates can help you:
- We can support you and your midwife to plan your pregnancy care and plan for the birth of your baby.
- We can discuss with you the most appropriate choices for you and your baby.
- We can help to resolve any disagreements about your maternity care in an unbiased and impartial manner.
- We can talk to you if you are unhappy about your birth outcome or treatment.
- We can listen to any concerns you may have about your maternity care and take action if it is felt to be appropriate.
Our team of professional midwifery advocates work in a wide range of practice areas providing a range of skill and expertise.
How to contact us
You can contact the professional midwifery advocate team for advice/support via our email on:
The email is checked daily during the working week. Emails received out of office hours, for example at the weekends/bank holidays, will be answered the next working day. You may use the email for positive feedback about your midwifery care.
If you have had a difficult birth experience, you may wish to contact the Trust's Birth after Thoughts service on
firstname.lastname@example.org leaving your full name, address date and place of delivery. This service will arrange a meeting with an experienced midwife who will go through your notes and discuss your birth experience with you.
Urgent issues contact:
· QEQM labour ward: 01843 234290
· WHH labour ward: 01233 616124
· K&C Day Care: 01227 783105
· DFDBC Day Care: 01304 222523
· QEQM Day Care: 01843 234483
· WHH Day Care: 01233 616638