Buckland Day Hospital offers rehabilitation for people over the age of 18 who present with neurological and vestibular complaints, amputees, fallers and decreased mobility. Screening tool 3 is completed as part of the multidisciplinary assessment process.
The Day Hospital has links with the Falls Consultants, Parkinsons Clinic (Consultant and specialist nurse), MS clinic, Amputee Satellite Clinic and Disablement Services Centre at Gillingham. Referrals can also be received from GP’s, therapists, nurses, care managers.
Treatment can be offered on a one to one appointment basis with the following professions or can see any mix of these professionals with successive appointments on the same day (where possible)
- Physiotherapy offers a range of interventions which include treatment, education and advice. Physiotherapists aim to restore, maintain and improve a person’s function and movement.
Treatment interventions include
- Facilitatory techniques of normal movement to increase function e.g. transfers, mobility
- Exercise based (balance, strengthening, Core stability, CV and vestibular),
- Provision of walking aids and gait re-education indoors / outdoors
- Amputee rehabilitation
Occupational Therapy enables individuals to take part in activities of daily living that they need or want to do. Occupational Therapy in the Day Hospital also works with the carers / family where appropriate to overcome the difficulty they have as a result of illness, disability and barriers in their environment.
- Cognitive rehab
- Functional activities
- Home Visits
- Provision of equipment and adaptations
- General advice to increase patients functional independence and activities of daily living
The role of the nursing team within the Day Hospital is to provide nursing assessment and management, to work in parallel with the multidisciplinary therapy. The nursing team consists of a Sister (not on site), Staff Nurse and HCA. We also provide nursing support for specialist out patient clinics including Parkinson’s disease, TIA/Stroke and Falls clinics.
Speech and Language Therapy
The Speech and Language Therapy Service at Buckland Day Hospital offers assessment, differential diagnosis and management of acquired swallowing, speech, voice and language difficulties which may be the result of Stroke, Parkinson’s Disease, Multiple Sclerosis, Huntington’s Disease, Motor Neurone Disease, Cerebellar Ataxia and a number of other acquired neurological conditions.