The functional and reconstructive unit at East Kent Urology (EKU) Department of EKHUFT provides specialist care for patients with disorders of the bladder and urethra.
Our team of specialists include consultants, six specialist nurses and a clinic research unit. We work closely with colleagues working in the gynaecology, colorectal, paediatric urology and pain departments. We also work closely with specialist centres in London.
The team offers specialist care in the following areas:
- Overactive Bladder
- Female stress urinary incontinence
- Male post-prostatectomy incontinence
- Incontinence and bladder problems due to neurological conditions eg multiple sclerosis, spina bifida
- Ureteric injury/strictures requiring reconstruction
- Urethral diverticulum
- Urinary tract fistulae
- Female urinary retention
- Bladder pain syndrome/Interstitial cystitis
- Recurrent urinary tract infections
- Bladder Diverticulae
Our team offers a range of procedures and tutorials including:
- Botox injection to the bladder
- Robotic ureteric reconstruction
- Surgery for vesico-vaginal, uretero-vaginal fistulae in conjuction with the colorectal and gynaecology teams
- Robotic Diverticulectomy
- Robotic Urinary Diversion
- Intermittent Self Catherisation (ISC)
- Extra-anatomical Stents
East Kent Urology (EKU) Department of EKHUFT has an active teaching and research programme.