Welcome to the webpages of the Pharmacy directorate for East Kent Hospitals University NHS Foundation Trust.
The Pharmacy directorate provides a range of services throughout the Trust. It is a patient focused service that is involved in every aspect of the management of medicines. There is a Pharmacy department with a dispensary in each of our three acute hospitals, William Harvey Hospital in Ashford, Kent and Canterbury Hospital in Canterbury, and Queen Elizabeth The Queen Mother Hospital in Margate.
The hospital pharmacies provide services to patients in these hospitals while specialist services may be based in one of the hospitals but provide a service to the whole Trust. There are also pharmacists who are qualified to prescribe medicines.
The Pharmacy directorate takes an active role in ensuring that the Trust complies with national legislation, standards and guidance on medicines, cost effective prescribing and infection control.
- Inpatient and outpatient dispensing and supply using robotic technology
- Ward pharmacy
- Medicines information
- Procurement and distribution of medicines
- Aseptic preparation of sterile products, particularly chemotherapy
- Quality control
- Clinical trials of medicines
- Specialist oncology pharmacy
- Specialist renal pharmacy
- Specialist antimicrobial pharmacy
- Specialist palliative care pharmacy to the hospices in east Kent
- Education, training and development.